Tips for 11-12th Graders
Junior and senior year make up the most critical time in the application process. Colleges want to see students on an upward trajectory as they prepare to leave high school. They expect students to begin enrolling in college level courses (AP or DE) and to continue to earn high grades (As and Bs). We are here to support you with planning out a college preparatory schedule and selecting colleges that are a good match for your career interests, academic performance, personality AND family financial situation. We will walk with you through the process of filling out applications, brainstorming and editing essays, submitting scholarship and financial aid forms, and more.
Please see the links below for more information:
- Guide to Applying & Paying for College
- Average GPA & SAT/ACT Scores of Virginia Colleges
- Average GPA & SAT/ACT Scores for HBCU’s
- Admission Essays
- Résumé Template
- Is Applying Early Right for You
- Paying for College
- Colleges that Meet 100% of Financial Need
- Colleges Requiring the CSS Profile
- Financial Aid Award Comparison Tool
- Citizenship & FAFSA Eligibility Flowchart
- Resources for Non-FAFSA Eligible Students
- Editable Résumé Template (Microsoft Word Document available for download)
- College Score Card-compare financial aid awards, graduation rates, internships across colleges
- College Search-compare college data; IES, National Center for Educational Statistics
- Net Price Calculator-sticker vs net price
- Career Search-career paths, hiring trends, entry level salaries and training/degree requirements
2022-23 SFA FAFSA Workshop: ACHS seniors and families, have you started thinking about how you’re going to pay for college? Your first step is to complete the FAFSA! Save the date for the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria’s FAFSA Completion Workshop on Wednesday, October 6th. All seniors should attend! Translation will be offered in Spanish, Arabic, and Amharic. Registration is required as space is limited. Students and families can register at the following link. Click here for the 2022-2023 October FAFSA Flyer.
Ready to Learn More?
Reach out to Alyssa Samuel, Director of College Advising and Scholarship Programming for grades 11-12 and ACHS Alumni.