Need help searching for scholarships?
We send out a scholarship email each month to keep families in the loop about upcoming local and national scholarship opportunities in addition to the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria. Many of the scholarships in each month’s email have been won by T.C. students in previous years. Please click here to sign up for our scholarship newsletter. Click here to access the LATEST scholarship newsletter & archves.
Be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email contacts to ensure that the newsletter does not get filtered into your spam folder!
January 2021 Scholarship Newsletter
Dear ACPS Students, Families, and Alumni,
Happy New Year and welcome back to school! The Scholarship Fund office staff are available 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday! Please reach out to Ms. Samuel or Mr. Waters at the contact information listed below. We look forward to meeting you and supporting your college dreams!
IT IS SCHOLARSHIP SEASON! While scholarships have varying deadlines, February/March are HUGE months for scholarship deadlines. The SFA monthly scholarship email contains many scholarship opportunities but the list is not exhaustive. There are thousands of scholarships out there, so try to carve out some time to do additional scholarship searches.
- Renew your FAFSA! – It is time to submit your FAFSA for next school year! Feel free to reach out to the Scholarship Fund adviser for assistance. We’d love to hear about your fall semester & help you renew your financial aid.
- Transferring? - For many of you it is time to start thinking about transferring from NOVA to a 4-year school. We would be more than happy to assist with narrowing down your list of schools, editing essays, navigating the Guaranteed Admissions Agreements with Virginia colleges, etc.
- Graduating? - Class of 2017, can you believe your college graduation is almost here? If you need help brushing up your resume, writing cover letters, preparing for job interviews, or completing grad school applications, please know that you can still reach out to us for help!
- Submit the FAFSA as soon as possible! - It is critical that every senior submit the FAFSA immediately to qualify for free money from the federal government, the state of Virginia, and colleges. Even if you are not sure you will go to college after graduation, you should complete the FAFSA as soon as possible to keep their options open!
Some priority financial aid deadlines have already passed- submit the FAFSA ASAP to maximize the financial aid you will receive!
FAFSA does not require essays or consider your grades. Most students receiving free or reduced price lunch will qualify for the Pell Grant – the maximum Pell grant award is $6,345. This is FREE money to help you pay for school! Even if you do not receive free or reduced price lunch, you may still be eligible to receive thousands in state and institutional aid. Every family should spend 45 minutes filling out the FAFSA to see what they might qualify for! If you need assistance or have questions, please email email@example.com for support.
- The Scholarship Fund of Alexandria Application is now open! - The Scholarship Fund of Alexandria is just for TC Williams seniors! The Scholarship Fund of Alexandria awarded over $500,000 to T.C. Williams’ Class of 2020. All current T.C. Williams seniors are encouraged to apply. Our application is due by February 3rd!
- To learn more about the SFA first time applicant process, please go here.
JUNIORS & SOPHOMORES:
- RISING SENIORS (Current Juniors)-QuestBridge College Prep Scholars - The 2021 College Prep Scholars Program application will open in early February 2020 and will be due on March 24th . Students can join the QuestBridge mailing list by submitting the form at the bottom of their website (www.questbridge.org). QuestBridge will notify students when the application is available. Students with high financial need (household income of $65,000 per year or less) who have a 3.75+ GPA and are enrolled in AP/DE courses should consider applying to QuestBridge College Prep Scholars summer program (including undocumented or DACA students). This all-expense-paid summer program will give students a leg-up in applying for QuestBridge College Match, a 4-year full-ride scholarship to top ranked partner colleges. Applications are typically due in mid-March for the summer program and late September for the college scholarship. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance!
- Rising TCW Juniors and Seniors (current Juniors and Sophomores) who are interested in attending Virginia Tech should consider Virginia Tech’s Virtual Black College Institute. This is a FREE program that takes place over the summer. The program is designed to attract underrepresented or first-generation students but is open to any student with an interest in Virginia Tech. Applications for 2021 are being taken RIGHT NOW, so please take the time to check out the details. The deadline to apply is April 1st.
- The YouVisit Foundation offers students and families FREE Virtual Campus Tours. YouVisit offers more than 600 virtual tours with an immersive web experience that allows students to learn more about the college’s programs, campus culture, and an opportunity to listen to students’ experiences. Tours are also available via Virtual Reality. For more info please contact email@example.com OR https://www.youvisit.com/collegesearch
Below is a list of upcoming scholarships. Local scholarships are indicated by pink text.
- Diller Teen Tikkun Olam Award– January 8, 2021 – $36,000 scholarship open to Jewish teens age 13-19 who have demonstrated remarkable leadership and service. Though the application is due January 8th, there is an earlier nomination deadline of December 18th
- Ron Brown Scholarship–January 9, 2021 – Open to African-American high school seniors who excel academically, exhibit exceptional leadership potential, participate in community service activities, and demonstrate financial need. US citizens or permanent residents only. Renewable scholarship awarding $10,000 per year
- Virginia DAR Scholarships: All Majors– January 12, 2021 – $2,500 scholarships open to Virginia high school seniors who plan to enroll an in-state college and major in a field other than nursing
- Virginia DAR Scholarships: Nursing– January 12, 2021 – $2,500 scholarships open to Virginia high school seniors who plan to enroll an accredited in-state college and major in nursing
- APIA Scholars Program– January 14, 2021 – $2,500 – $20,000 scholarship open to students of Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity with GPA of 2.7+
- VALHEN Scholarship– January 15, 2021 – $2,500 scholarship open to Latinx high school seniors in Virginia with 2.5+ GPA
- Washington Crossing Scholarship – January 15, 2021- Up to $5,000 scholarship for high school seniors planning careers in government service
- Hurst AACN Scholarship– January 15, 2021 – $2,500 scholarship open to current college students studying nursing at an AACN member institutions
- Architecture Diversity Scholarship – January 15, 2021 – $20,000 scholarship open to high school seniors and current college freshmen planning to study architecture
- JFK Profile in Courage Essay– January 15, 2021 – $10,000 essay contest open to 9-12 grade students
- Virginia Council on Women STEM Essay Contest– January 18, 2021 – STEM essay contest open to high school seniors with 2.5+ GPA who identify as women
- Coolidge Scholarship– January 20, 2021 – 4-year, full-ride scholarship open to high school juniors who have excelled academically, exhibit an interest in public policy and commitment to service
- C-SPAN’S Student Cam– January 20, 2021 – “What does it mean to be an American” film contest open to 6-12 grade students; prizes up to $5,000
- NOVA Oratorical Scholarship– January 22, 2021 – $500 – $1,500 scholarship open to African American high school seniors with 2.5+ GPA
- The Point Foundation– January 25, 2021- Open to high school seniors and current college students (including undocumented students) who identify with and work for the betterment of the LGBTQ community
- Schmidt Futures’ RISE Program – January 29, 2021 – Need-based scholarships (amount not yet specified) available for college cost of attendance and internship expenses, in addition to a technology package and free online courses. Talented young people between the ages of 15 and 17 (as of July 1, 2021) are eligible to apply. The RISE Program is looking to identify potential rather than identify students based on traditional measures like grades or test scores. The January deadline is the first step of an eight-month selection program aimed at identifying students with the potential to tackle the world’s most pressing issues
- I Have a Dream Scholarship– January 31, 2021 – $1,500 scholarship open to students age 13+ who write a 250 word essay on what they dream about
- DAR National Scholarship– January 31, 2021 – $5,000 per year renewable scholarship open to US Citizen high school seniors
- Dream Project VA– February 1, 2021 – Open to Virginia high school seniors and college students who were born outside of the United States and whose immigration status (undocumented, DACA, TPS, Asylum Applicant) creates barriers to access and success in college
- Stacey Scholarship– February 1, 2021 – $500 – $5,000 scholarship open to students age 18-35 pursuing a profession in the arts in the classical or conservative tradition
- Significant Challenge Scholarship– February 1, 2021 – Open to high school seniors with 3.4+ GPA who have taken challenging courses and exhibited leadership
- Wings Over America Scholarship– February 1, 2021 – Open to current high school and college students whose parents served (or are currently serving) in the US Navy in an aviation command (squadron, naval air station, carrier, etc.)
- Bart Kamen FIRST Robotics Competition Scholarship– February 1, 2021 – $10,000 scholarship open to high school seniors who have participated in FRC for at least one year and who plan to take biomedical engineering or pre-med courses in college
- Sunflower Initiative– February 1, 2021 – $10,000 scholarship open to high school seniors with 3.7+ GPA desiring to attend a women’s college
- Jackie Robinson Foundation– February 1, 2021 – Open to minority high school seniors with financial need, leadership potential, and community service experience. Submission of test scores are optional
- Scholarship Fund of Alexandria– February 3, 2021 – Renewable scholarship just for TC Williams seniors! Financial need-based and non-need based awards available, ranging from $500 – $6,000 per year of college. About 50% of applicants win!
- McDonald’s HACER National Scholarship – February 3, 2021 – Open to high school seniors with 2.8+ GPA who have at least one parent of Hispanic heritage
- AMS Freshman Undergraduate Scholarship– February 5, 2021 – $5,000 scholarship awarded $2,500 for each year (freshman and sophomore years). Open to students who will be freshmen in the Fall of 2021 pursuing a career in the atmospheric and related oceanic or hydrologic sciences. Applicants must have a minimum of GPA of 3.0 of 4.0 scale
- Women in Science Scholarship– February 5, 2021 – A $10,000 scholarship open to women in their final year of undergraduate study in the Fall of 2021. Applicants must have a minimum of GPA of 3.0 of 4.0 scale and be pursuing a career in the atmospheric and related oceanic or hydrologic sciences
- AMS Minority Scholarship– February 12, 2021 – $6,000 scholarship awarded $3,000 for each year (freshman and sophomore years). Open to students who will be freshmen in the Fall of 2021 pursuing a career in the atmospheric and related oceanic or hydrologic sciences. Applicants must have a minimum of GPA of 3.0 of 4.0 scale
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund– February 15, 2021 – $500 – 5,000 scholarship open to high school seniors with a 3.0+ GPA and current college/graduate students with a 2.5+ GPA of Hispanic heritage. Open to U.S. citizens, permanent legal residents, eligible non-citizens, and DACA students
- Jashemski Scholarship– February 15, 2021 – Open to students in the DC area, age 17-25, with 3.5+ GPA and significant religious commitment as evidenced by formal membership in a religious body, regular participation in its worship life, and active involvement in its service ministry. Financial need based award up to $10,000
- Virginia PEO Scholarship– February 15, 2021 – $1,500 scholarship open to female residents of Virginia with 3.0+ GPA who plan to attend an in-state college
- Virginia State Golf Association Scholarship– February 17, 2021 – Open to Virginia high school seniors who play golf
- Dream US National Scholarship– February 25, 2021 – Scholarship worth up to $16,500 towards an Associate’s Degree and $33,000 towards a Bachelor’s Degree to. Scholarship for DACA and TPS high school and college students applying to a Dream US partner college (NOVA, Marymount, or GMU)
- Goya Culinary Arts– February 26, 2021 – $5,000 scholarship open to high school seniors (including DACA students) with 3.0+ GPA planning to pursue a 2- or 4-year degree in culinary arts or food sciences
Have a wonderful start to the new year, and please feel free to contact me with any questions! Please feel free to make an appointment with me using this link to discuss any of the topics below.
- Scholarships and financial aid
- Finding a good college fit
- Writing college and scholarship essays
- SAT/ACT preparation
- Building a résumé
- Financial aid options for undocumented students
- Completing the Scholarship Fund Application