Need help searching for scholarships?
Margaret Feldman sends out a scholarship email each month to keep families in the loop about upcoming local and national scholarship opportunities in addition to the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria. Many of the scholarships in each month’s email have been won by T.C. students in previous years. Please click here to sign up for Ms. Feldman’s scholarship newsletter.
Also, be sure to add email@example.com to your email contacts to ensure that the newsletter does not get filtered into your spam folder!
May Scholarship Email
Dear ACPS Students, Families, and Alumni,
The Scholarship Fund of Alexandria office is open from 8am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday. In addition to helping with scholarship questions, we’d also love to support your family with college, career, or financial aid planning! Please feel free to see me in room A-115 (grades 11-12) or Ms. Osei in room A-121 (grades 6-10). We look forward to meeting you and supporting your college dreams!
- Be sure to sign up for the ACT this spring (and SAT Subject Tests, if applicable) – In addition to the in-school SAT juniors took in April, all juniors should register to take the ACT on a Saturday this spring. Students can compare results from both tests to determine whether the SAT or ACT is a better fit for their test-taking-style. Then rising seniors can spend the summer preparing to retake the test of their choice in the fall of senior year. There are two more ACTs this spring, one on June 9th with a registration deadline of TOMORROW, May 4th (or May 18th with late fee — late fee is NOT covered by fee waiver), and one on July 14th with a registration deadline of June 15th. All students receiving free or reduced lunch may take both the ACT and the SAT for free two times.
There are also additional fee waivers to cover the cost of the SAT Subject Tests (also called SAT IIs), which are recommended by UVA and other similarly selective schools. The SAT Subject Tests are available in specific content areas (similar to AP exams). Spring of junior year is an ideal time to take the SAT Subject Tests because the content is most fresh in student’s minds before summer break.There is one more SAT this spring, June 2nd with a registration deadline of TODAY, May 3rd (or May 23rd with late fee — late fee is covered by fee waiver). Feel free to stop by the Scholarship Fund office with any questions or for assistance with registration!
- Save the date for Junior College Planning Night at 6pm on Wednesday, May 30th – All juniors and their families should plan to attend!
- It’s time to finalize your list of colleges – The Scholarship Fund would be happy to talk through your list of potential colleges with you and help you choose 6-8 schools that:
- Offer your major of interest: Not sure what you want to study? Take your career and personality assessments in Naviance!
- Match your GPA & SAT/ACT scores (2 safety, 2 match, 2 reach): Take a look at the average GPA and SAT/ACT score for admittance to 4-year public and private colleges in the state of Virginia here, check out the scattergrams in Naviance, and make a free account with Princeton Review.
- Will be affordable for your family: Use the Net Price Calculator to get a personalized price for each college on your list. The Net Price Calculator will take into account your family size, income, and grades and calculate how much your family is eligible for in financial aid and scholarships at that particular school. You’ll find that each college has a different starting price (or “sticker price”) and will award you a different amount of financial aid, but the Net Price Calculator will give you the information you need to make sure that the schools on your list will be affordable.
- Looking for all-expense paid college visits? – Many colleges sponsor high achieving students from traditionally underrepresented groups, students who are the first generation in their family to attend college, and/or students from families with limited financial resources. Some of these program are also open to undocumented or DACA students. Participation in these visits often gives you a competitive edge in the admissions process, so check out this sampling of opportunities and see Ms. Feldman in A-115 to learn more:
- University of Virginia: Apply for Hoos First Look by June 1st
- Barnard College: Apply for Barnard Bound by June 4th
- Smith College: Apply for Women of Distinction by June 15th
- Wellesley College: Apply for Discover Wellesley Travel Grant by June 30th
- Williams College: Apply for Windows on Williams by July 1st
- MIT: Apply for WISE by July 9th
- Swarthmore College: Apply for Discover Swarthmore by July 16th
- Washington and Lee University: Apply for the Diversity and Inclusion visit by August 1st
- Amherst College: Apply for Diversity Open House by August 13th
- Middlebury College: Apply for Discover Middlebury by August 13th
- And many more schools….
- It is NOT too late to submit the FAFSA – Just now deciding you want to pursue college? FAFSA is the first step to help you pay for it! FAFSA is a free application that gives you money to use at 4-year colleges, NOVA, and most career/technical schools. Please see me in A-115 with any questions or for assistance completing the FAFSA form!
- TC will celebrate National Decision Day TOMORROW, May 4th! – Stop by the Titan Den during your lunch block to celebrate your plans for next year! Whether you’re going to the military, work, trade school, NOVA, 4-year school, or taking a gap year, we want to honor your hard work in high school and your plans for next year! So don’t miss the Class of 2018’s Decision Day celebration in Quiet Dining tomorrow. There’ll be free t-shirts and raffle prizes!
- Don’t forget to renew FAFSA – Need help submitting your FAFSA for next school year or completing financial aid verification paperwork? You are more than welcome to still reach out for help!
- It’s time to renew your SFA scholarship – The Scholarship Fund of Alexandria renewal application opened up May 1st and is due by July 15th for Scholarship Fund awardees in the classes of 2015, 2016, and 2017. Please contact the Scholarship Fund office with any questions!
Below is a list of upcoming scholarships. .
- Together We Rise Foster Care Scholarship – May 4, 2018 – Tuition scholarship, school supplies, and tutoring support open to college-bound foster youth ages 17-23 with 2.5+ GPA (application will open on March 23rd)
- OAR Scholarship – May 7, 2018 – $3,000 scholarship open to students across the autism spectrum
- Pride of Fairfax County Lodge Scholarship #298 – May 11, 2018 – Open to current high school seniors with 3.0+ GPA and active church involvement
- SunTrust Sweepstakes – May 14, 2018 – $500 scholarship drawing every two weeks until May 14th
- UNCF/Koch Scholarship – May 14, 2018 – $5,000 renewable scholarship, mentoring, and networking opportunities open to African American high school seniors or college freshmen attending a UKSP Eligible Institutions with 2.7+ GPA and interest in principled entrepreneurship, innovation and the economic way of thinking
- Thanks USA Scholarship – May 15, 2018 – Open to high school seniors and current college students who are the dependents of U.S. military personnel
- SBMEF Women of Vision Scholarship – May 15, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship open to female rising college juniors and seniors with 3.0+ GPA
- SBMEF National Scholarship – May 15 – 2018 – $2,500 scholarship open to female college students with 3.0+ GPA and at least 60 credit hours
- Congressional Black Caucus Education Scholarship – May 18, 2018 – $8,200 scholarship open to graduating African American seniors and current college students with GPA of 2.5 or higher
- SUEZ Scholarship – May 18, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship and paid internship with SUEZ open to current college sophomores and juniors majoring in Accounting, Business Administration, Civil Engineering, Communications, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, English, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science(s), Health and Safety (Select Environmental Science), Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, Mechanical Engineering, Political Science, Pre-law or Sociology
- Alexandria Old School Alumni Scholarship – May 19, 2018 – Open to current TC Williams seniors with 2.5+ GPA
- B. Davis Scholarship – May 22, 2018 – $1,000 leadership essay contest open to high school juniors and seniors as well as current college students
- Cameron Impact Scholarship – May 25, 2018 (priority deadline) – Students with strong leadership skills, extensive community service and extracurricular experiences, and 3.7+ unweighted GPA should consider applying to the Cameron Impact Scholarship, a 4-year full-ride, merit-based scholarship
- Minerva Beauty Scholarship – May 31, 2018 – Open to students currently enrolled in a cosmetology program; 3.0 GPA or higher
- Triple Impact Scholarship – May 31, 2018 – $2,000 scholarship open to high school juniors with 2.5+ GPA who participate in team sports
- American Indian College Fund – May 31, 2018 – Open to students with 2.0+ GPA who are enrolled members of a federal or state recognized tribe
- Whitaker Foundation Art Scholarship Program – May 31, 2018 – $2,000 scholarship for art students (with a special emphasis on watercolor, art history, or museum studies)
- Mary Blackwell Barnes Scholarship – May 31, 2018 – Open to female students who are current freshmen, sophomores, or juniors at VA or DC colleges and who display interest in the field of public finance
- WyzAnt – May 31, 2018 – $10,000 essay/social media contest open to juniors and seniors
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Scholarship – May 31, 2018 – $10,000 scholarship for current college students with 2.5+ GPA who have declared a major of biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or related life science field
- Foot Locker Scholarship – May 31, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship open to high school seniors and current college students with 3.0+ GPA provided they are attending one of the 37 UNCF member colleges or universities
- Joe Francis Haircare Scholarship – June 1, 2018 – $1,200 scholarship open to students interested in cosmetology or barbering schools
- Galactic Unite Scholarship – June 1, 2018 – $7,500 renewable scholarship open to 2018 female high school graduates pursuing STEM degrees
- American Indian Nurse Scholarship – June 1, 2018 – Candidate must be at least 1/4 American Indian and enrolled in a nursing program; $3,000 per year renewable scholarship
- Animation Career Review – June 1, 2018 – $1,000 scholarship open to high school seniors pursuing an animation related degree program
- Aspiring Fashion Professional Scholarship – June 1, 2018 – $1,000 scholarship for students who intend to pursue a fashion related field of study
- Fundera – June 1, 2018 – $2,000 entrepreneurial video/social media contest open to high school seniors and current college students
- UNCF/ALTRIA Scholarship – June 8, 2018 – $7,500 scholarship for current college sophomore enrolled at VSU, VUU, Hampton, or NSU with 3.0+ GPA who are pursuing a STEM or business related major
- A&F Scholarship – June 14, 2018 – $1,000 scholarship open to high school juniors and seniors as well as current college students; essay on career and life goals
- Narrative Prize – June 15, 2018 – $4,000 prize awarded for the best short story, novel excerpt, poem, one-act play, graphic story, or work of literary nonfiction published Narrative
- Native American Scholarship – June 15, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship for students who plan to work with a tribe or nation in the field of education or social service
- American Muscle Student Scholarship – June 15, 2018 – $2,000 scholarship open to high school seniors and current college students pursuing an automotive themed major
- Comcast/NBC Universal Scholarship – June 15, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship open to current college freshmen and sophomores at an HBCU with 3.0+ GPA and interest in the entertainment/media industry
- Big Sun Athletic Scholarship – June 19, 2018 – $500 scholarship open to high school seniors and current college students who are student athletes
- Providian Medical Scholarship – June 21, 2018 – Essay contest on medical technology; $500 scholarship open to current college students and high school seniors with 3.0+ GPA
- Ricoh Scholarship – June 29, 2018 – $2,500 scholarship open to current college sophomores with 2.5+ GPA enrolled at an HBCU studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Information Technology, Business Operations
- Automotive Hall of Fame – June 30, 2018 – Open to high school seniors and college students interested in an automotive career with 3.0+ GPA
- SR Education Group – Community College Scholarship – June 30, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship open to students currently enrolled in community college
- GAPA Foundation – June 30, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship open to high school seniors and current college students who have history of activism within either the API and/or LGBTQ communities
- Power & Energy Society Scholarship – June 30, 2018 – $2,000 renewable scholarship open to current college students considering a career in electric power and energy engineering
- SR Education Group – Military Scholarship – June 30, 2018 – $5,000 scholarship open to current college students who are veterans, active duty military, or children of service members/veterans
- Zip Recruiter Scholarship – June 30, 2018 – $3,000 essay scholarship on your current job and ideal job post graduating; open to students age 18+
- 10K for School – June 30, 2017 – $10,000 scholarship drawing
- Huntington Scholarship Sweepstakes – June 30, 2018 – $4,000 scholarship drawing open to high school seniors
- CNO Naval History Scholarship – June 30, 2018 – $5,000 essay contest on a lesson learned from naval history that can be applied today
Have a wonderful May, and please feel free to contact me with any questions! Stop by room A-115 for help with any of the following:
- Scholarships and financial aid
- Finding a good college fit
- Writing college and scholarship essays
- SAT/ACT preparation
- Building a résumé
- Financial aid options for undocumented students
- Completing the Scholarship Fund Application