We encourage all SFA recipients to apply for renewal of their scholarship each year of college. To be eligible to apply for renewal, applicants:
- Must have at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA, and
- Must have completed a minimum of 30 earned credit hours for the year or be on track to graduate within 4 years.
- Be a recipient of a merit-based scholarship that is inherently renewable (not all merit-based scholarships are renewable),
- Be a recipient of a financial need-based scholarship who continues to demonstrate financial need, or
- Be a recipient of a merit-based scholarship who now demonstrates financial need.
How to determine if you “demonstrate financial need”: Review the financial aid being offered to you by your school and your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA. To determine “financial need” we use the following calculation: a) cost of attendance for your university minus b) grants and scholarships from the school as well as from the state and federal government, c) outside scholarships you receive, and d) your parents’ EFC from the FAFSA. A recipient cannot be over-awarded, that is receive more money than the cost of attendance. Please review the example below and contact SFA with any questions:
Original scholarship amount: up to $3,000
$66,512 (university cost of attendance)
– $58,718 (school, state, and federal grants)
– $0 (outside scholarships)
– $6,498 (EFC from SAR)
= $1,296 (demonstrated financial need)
Therefore, SFA can only award this recipient $1,296 of the $3,000 for which s/he is eligible.
The application is available online at https://sfarenewal.awardspring.com/ starting May 1st.
You will create a username and password for our application portal the first time you enter the site as an alum, so applications do not need to be submitted in one sitting. You can edit and update your application from May 1 until our July 15 deadline; however, please note that your application will not be considered complete until all components are submitted.
The application portal will close at 11:59pm on July 15th and applicants will no longer be able to make any changes to their applications. All applicants will be notified in late July whether or not they have been selected to receive a scholarship and scholarship checks will be mailed to colleges.
Financial Need-Based Renewals: If you’re applying to renew your scholarship based on financial need, remember that you will be required to submit the following documentation prior to our July 15 deadline:
- 2020-21 Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA
- Cumulative Transcript from your college to show adequate yearly progress with cumulative GPA and total number of earned credits. This can be unofficial and downloaded from your school portal. Must submit all transcripts from schools attended in 2018-19.
- 2020-21 Financial Aid Award Summary from your school. Ask for this starting in May and follow up with your school regularly to request that award be expedited for a scholarship application! (Your SFA Renewal Application will not be considered complete without an official Financial Aid Award summary from your school or 2018-19.)
- 2020-21 Cost of Attendance from your school. This is a breakdown of the direct and indirect costs of attending your school. It states what the costs are for housing, tuition, transportation, books, etc. (Sometimes, your school will list your cost of attendance on your aid award summary. If that is the case, then you do not need to submit it separately.)
- Completed W-9 form. Download the form here, https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf.You should submit this form even if they do not file taxes. The form is filled out for the student (not the parent). In box 3, check “Individual.”
- Copy of state-issued identification
Merit-Based Renewals: If you are applying for an inherently renewable merit-based scholarship, you will only need to submit your college transcript. If you can’t remember whether or not the scholarship you received was renewable, contact us and we can let you know!
Please feel free to contact the Scholarship Fund of Alexandria office with questions about our application at any time!
T.C. Williams High School (King Street Campus), Rooms A-121 and A-115
8am – 4:30pm, Monday – Friday (school year)
9am – 3:30pm, Monday – Friday (summer)